Sunday, September 14, 2014

bicycle sketching

I live in a great neighborhood. There are towering, shady trees. Beautiful houses, with interesting colors, trim, decorations, porches, plants, lanterns, flags...always something to look at. And on one grand avenue nearby, there are the old mansions of the Rochester city elite: George Eastman's, most notably, and those of all of his cronies and co-citizens, who vied to have the most elegant and elaborate homes.

It is a treat to ride around, run around, walk around.

Recently I rigged up a mobile sketching station on the handlebars of my bike.

Then I cruised around (helmeted, of course) and drew - whatever caught my eye, only as much as I could get while riding by. I was amazed at how much fun it was. The tempo and the situation meant that I couldn't get caught up in anything. It kept my intent pure, my focus pure. It was amazing to see the view of the thing I was drawing changing so quickly. There was flow, and the flow almost became my subject.

I found it funny how unrecognizable so many of the drawings were. And how recognizable elements of others were!

Here are just a few.















3 comments:

  1. Das war eine tolle Idee und sicherlich auch ein Abenteuer, oder? Auf einem Bild erkenne ich eindeutig einen Vogel auf dem Ast. Stimmt das?
    Du könntest diese Bilder als Grundlage für deine wunderschönen Aquarelle benutzen, also finde ich :)

    Liebste Grüße, Beate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Du, das ist eine super Idee mit den Aquarellen! Das werde ich machen. Ja, es war wirklich ein Abenteuer, sehr lustig :)
      Und ich sehe den Vogel auch! Aber ich glaube nicht, daß es ursprünglich ein Vogel war, das ich skizziert habe - eher ein Haus oder sowas, aber wie gesagt hatte ich keine Ahnung, wie diese komischen Bilder entstanden sind. Ich liebe diesen Vogel, der rein aus etwas anderem entsprungen ist!

      Delete
    2. Danke für die Antwort! Und: Dann sollte der Vogel, der aus aus irgendwas entstanden ist, das erste Bild sein, das du mit Aquarellfarben bearbeitest. Ich bin schon ganz gespannt auf diesen Vogel in bunt :)

      Delete